Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My 1/15 of a Second of Fame

I've decided that I should take advantage of the fact that I live in Los Angeles. I am now taking opportunities that I normally wouldn't even think about doing anywhere else. For example, on April 6 I received tickets to go to American Idol. They don't allow cameras, so I wasn't able to get any pictures while we were there, but it was very interesting to see what happens behind the scenes. Jaime and I went together and somehow ended up standing in the "pit" right next to the stage - you know, the place where they put all the pretty, young girls who look good on television clapping for the contestants. We're not sure why the producers put us there, but our working theory is we happened to be sitting next to a group of pretty high school students in the waiting area and the producers must have thought we were with them. It was a lot of fun to watch the contestants perform and clap and scream like an idiot for them.


We were able to watch the show that night to see if we made it on TV. We could see the back of our heads a couple of times and my arm once, but nothing more than that. Until the took a very quick sweeping shot across the audience right where we were standing. We watched frame by frame until we found my head in exactly one frame that lasted all of 1/20 of a second.
So now you can say that you know someone who has been on national television. I'm not sure how I feel about spending my 1/15 of a second of fame on the very bottom corner of the screen.

1 comment:

Juli said...

No way! Guess what! We just did the SAME thing--we were in the audience for the Letterman Show in NY this past Friday--and literally flashed across the screen for one little blip. We can be famous together! ;-)