Monday, October 17, 2011

School Funnies

A1 says some of the funniest things about school. Here's a collection of some of my favorites:

A1's school has a professional coach to teach PE for each class. A1's class has Wednesdays as their days with the professional coach. One Wednesday morning, I explained to A1 that she needed to wear pants and sturdy shoes for PE and to be ready to get dirty because the coach might take them to one of the fields to play. She agreed and we went on with our morning. Then during breakfast she asked where the carriage was going to take her. "What carriage?" I asked. "You know, the carriage with the horses. You know, the coach." "No, no, no, not that kind of coach," I laughed. Then I explained that the coach wasn't a carriage that drove princesses around; the coach was a man ("On a horse?" she asked me) who would teach them how to play sports. It took a while, but I think she now understands what a coach is. And I understand that I've let my daughter watch too many princess movies and not enough sports.

During the second week of school, A1 revealed to us that one of the boys in her class has a crush on her (I didn't think I'd have to deal with this in Kindergarten; I thought I still had a few years) and keeps trying to kiss her. I told her not to let him kiss her. She said, "I don't let him kiss me. And, Mom, I don't like it. It distracts me from learning."

Here's a conversation I had with A1 as we walked home from school one Friday afternoon:
A1: Why didn't our teacher send our homework folder home today?
me: Well, it's Friday. You don't have homework on Fridays.
A1: No! (groaning and complaining)
me: Don't worry. That just means we get to make up our own homework.
A1: Hurray! (cheering)

No comments: